What personal information do we collect?
When you apply to become a member of Wokingham U3A you will be asked to provide certain information. This includes:
- your name
- home address
- email address
- telephone numbers
In addition, for some physical activities and trips, members may be requested, but not required, to provide emergency contact information.
How do we collect this personal information?
All the information collected is obtained directly from you. This is usually at the point of your initial registration. The information will be collected via the membership application form. The lawful basis for collecting and storing your information is due to the contractual relationship that you, as a member, have with Wokingham U3A. In order to inform you about the groups, activities and events that you can access as a member we need to store and process a certain amount of personal data.
How do we use your personal information?
We use your personal information:
- To provide our U3A activities and services to you
- For administration, planning and management of our U3A
- To communicate with you about your group activities
- To monitor, develop and improve the provision of our U3A activity
- If you have given consent, for delivery of the trust publication – Third Age Matters
If you have given your consent, we will send you messages by email to advise you of U3A activities.
Who do we share your personal information with
We may disclose information about you, including your personal information
- Internally – to committee members and group conveners – as required to facilitate your participation in our U3A activities;
- Externally – with your consent for products or services such as direct mailing for the Trust magazines – Third Age Trust. The magazine is distributed by a third party processor and your information is shared with the distribution company via a secure online portal.
- To external mailing agency for sending documents such as General Meeting and Membership Renewal notifications and for the distribution of the Newsletter where a printed version has been requested.
- If we have a statutory duty to disclose it for other legal and/or regulatory reasons. In this instance we will seek to obtain your consent. Information would be shared without consent where there were serious safety concerns and it was felt to be in your or the U3As best interests to disclose information.
Where we need to share your information outside of the U3A we will seek your consent and inform you as to who the information will be shared with and for what purpose.
How long do we keep your personal information?
We need to keep your information so that we can provide our services to you. In most instances information about your membership will not be stored for longer than 12 months. However, where members have signed up for gift aid, HMRC require that we keep records for 7 years. Further exceptions to this are instances where there may be financial, legal or insurance circumstances that require information to be held for longer whilst the issues are investigated or resolved. Where this is the case member/s will be informed as to how long the information will be held for and when it is deleted.
How your information can be updated or corrected
To ensure the information we hold is accurate and up to date, member’s need to inform the U3A as to any changes to their personal information. You can do this by contacting the membership secretary at firstname.lastname@example.org. On an annual basis you will have the opportunity to update your information, as required, via the membership renewal process. Should you wish to view the information that the U3A holds on you, you can make this request by contacting the membership secretary – as detailed above. There may be certain circumstances where we are not able to comply with this request. This would include where the information may contain references to other individuals or for legal, investigative or security reasons. Otherwise we will usually respond within one month of the request being made.
How do we store your personal information
Wokingham U3A have in place a range of security safeguards to protect your personal information against loss or theft, as well as unauthorised access, disclosure, copying, use or modification. Security measures use of cloud storage, firewalls, use of a management database system. Your membership information is held securely on the Third Age Trust’s Beacon membership system and access to the data is limited to:
- Wokingham U3A Committee Members,
- other Wokingham U3A members who have been authorised by the committee to assist with functions such as membership renewals,
- authorised members of the Beacon Support Team and contactors authorised by the Beacon Support Team.
Visiting Our Website and Using Your Data
When you visit our Website (www.wokinghamu3a.org.uk) we collect standard internet log information and details of visitor behaviour patterns. This information is, in general, collected anonymously and will not directly identify you. The exception to this is that a visitors IP address is recorded under certain circumstances for security reasons e.g. detecting and blocking IP addresses should they exhibit the behaviour of an attacker.
Where a visitor uses the ‘Contact Us’ function, the message will be sent to us via email. The information sent in the email will only be used to respond to your enquiry. However, due to the nature of email, a record of the email exchange may be recorded on various email servers and client systems.
Availability and changes to this policy
This policy is available https://www.wokinghamu3a.org.uk/privacy-policy/. This policy may change from time to time. If we make any material changes we will make members aware of this via the Newsletter and the website.
If you have any queries about this policy, need it in an alternative format, or have any complaints about our privacy practices, please contact us at email@example.com.
Last Updated 02-April-2019